Ways to help with self-motivation
As an online learner, it is very common for one to feel isolated not having personal contact with your professors and peers. It is, therefore, really important that we build our own self-motivating traits to give us that extra push to accomplish our academic goals. Self-motivation is also a skill needed to be able to work independently. It is the force that keeps us going and moving forward. It’s our internal drive that helps us to stay on track so that we don’t give up when something seems unattainable. With self-motivation we are able to learn and grow.
So, what can we do to build in this area of our online learning toolbox?
- Keep motivational things near your work area – Maybe you have a favorite quote, a picture of a special person, or an image of what life will look like after you graduate. Whatever it may be keep it close and look it often. Especially on the frustrating days. Keeping your eye on the prize will help you to keep going.
- Stay around positive people – Make sure the people that you most often associate with are positive and supportive. Get rid of those that always seems to be negative and cause drama. Positive people listen, share ideas, are supportive, and help you to grow.
- Become a life-long learner – Read and try new things. Learn as much as you can. Learning builds confidence.
- See the good in a bad situation – This is what I do on a daily basis. Every time an obstacle arises, I say to myself well this is not a good situation, but if I look at it this way, this can be fixed or on a positive note…. You need to do this with every circumstance, and you will eventually train your brain to seek out the good things.
- Don’t over think. Sometimes just jumping into a project will help you to get started and motivated to work. Remember, that mistakes will happen and are fixable so just give yourself a break sometimes. We also learn from our mistakes and troubleshooting will boost your self-confidence.
- Help others – There is nothing more rewarding than helping others with no expectation of anything in return. It will make that person and you are happy and grateful. Seeing others doing well will also motivate you to want to do well too.
As an online learner you should think positively, surround yourself with uplifting supportive people, and keep your eye on your future goal of graduating and the career of your dreams. Stay strong and never give up! You are worth it.